Home buyers frequently asked questions and what you need to know when buying a home.

 

What do I do if I find a home I like?

  • Call, text or email me so I can find out if the home has an offer on it and can set up a showing if it’s available.
  • I can also show you homes that are “For Sale By Owner”.

Should I call the listing agent on the For Sale sign?

  • It’s not a good idea to call the listing agent directly.  Your buyer agent is there to do the work for you. 
  • A listing agent will know a lot about that home they are marketing, but they work for the seller. You won’t get a discount for working with them and will not be represented by them – they can not help you negotiate against the seller so it’s best to have your realtor buyer agent make the calls on your behalf and keep you protected.  That’s our job – to work in your best interest. 

What if I’m interested in new construction?

  • I can also represent you with a build contract if you want to explore new construction.  I have more than 10 years of experience with new construction homes so I can definitely help you in this area.  Let me call the builder on your behalf and do the leg work for you.  That’s what I’m here for.  J
  • Most builders have salespeople on staff that may also be licensed realtors.  However, they work for the builder and do not have your best interest in mind.  Again, they will not give you a discount for not having a realtor so it’s best to stay protected with your own buyer agent to help you with that process and paperwork.

How many homes does the typical buyer look at before finding “the one”?

  • 60% of Buyers find the home they want on their first outing with an agent.  Of the remaining 40%, half of those will find it on the second time out.  This means that 80% of buyers find their home after just 1-2 property tours.                              

How do I know if the home I like is “the one”?

  • There’s no such thing as a perfect house.  Even if you build a home, 6 months after you live there you’ll find things you would change. 
  • If a home has 85% of what you’re looking for, it’s a keeper!

What do I do when I find “the one”?

  • Your buyer agent will do a market analysis to help you determine a fair asking price. 
  • Your agent will then draft an Offer to Purchase with you and discuss the various pieces including earnest money, inspections, contingencies, closing date, home warranty, etc.

What should I expect to pay for fees and closing costs?

  • Your lender will prepare a breakdown of all of the closing costs for you.  They will include the cost for the loan, the appraisal, homeowners insurance estimate, property taxes, etc.
  • All offers require earnest money, which is basically a security deposit you’re putting down on the home.  It is held in a trust account by the listing broker.  The earnest money is typically in the amount of 1% of the purchase price and can be submitted in the form of a personal check.  This money is credited back to you at closing as part of your down payment.  It is usually due within 1-3 days of acceptance of the offer to purchase.
  • If you decide to have an inspection or radon test done on the home, the cost is typically in the $300 - $700 range depending on the inspector and the type of inspections and tests being done. 

Click here to see 5 reasons why you should work with a real estate professional when buying or selling a home.

Don’t ever hesitate to contact me with any questions!  I look forward to working with you!

Tonya Nye     tnye@starkhomes.com     608-770-7787